The East Greenbush Community Library currently has opening(s) for part-time Building Maintenance Worker(s). Work includes custodial, minor carpentry, plumbing, and painting. Maintains overall order and cleanliness of Library buildings and grounds. Serves as general handyperson performing a variety of semi-skilled duties which include, but are not limited to:
- vacuuming carpets
- dusting and cleaning furniture, shelves, and equipment
- washing windows
- cleaning and supplying restrooms
- removing trash
- setting up/taking down furniture in meeting room(s)/event setup/clean-up
Administers work typically moving, using and adjusting a variety of heavy equipment and materials. Provides assistance to staff in moving furniture and moving/reassembling furniture. Maintains lawns, trees, shrubs, plants, parking areas and other exterior landscaping of all library facilities. Assists with snow and ice removal. Picks up trash on library grounds.
Good knowledge of modern buildings and ground maintenance and repair practices required as well as knowledge of the practices and techniques of one or more of the standard trades; mechanical aptitude; industry; good physical condition; dependability; and manual dexterity.
Requires the ability to take initiative and apply considerable ingenuity and practical knowledge to interpret and resolve new, unusual, or particularly troublesome situations; the ability to work independently in a team environment; and to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
Our core values:
- Respect and care: If we’re not treating everyone well, we’re not making anyone feel at home.
- Do the right thing: Go the extra mile with each other and the public.
- Get it done: Look for solutions when problems arise, while working with patrons and coworkers.
- Champions for literacy and reading: At the heart of everything we do.
- Responsive to community: Community needs drive programs, material selections, and services.
$12.50 per hour
The normal work schedule includes day, evening, and weekend hours. Some flexibility is required. The current scheduled openings are Tuesday 5-9pm, Wednesday 5-9pm, Thursday 5-9pm and Saturday 9am-12pm.
Two (2) years of experience in either general building maintenance OR building trades work in one or more of the standard trades, such as carpentry, plumbing, or electrical.
- Valid NYS motor vehicle operator’s license during term of employment
- Must be eligible for a provisional appointment as Building Maintenance Worker under civil service rules.
Please submit a cover letter, three professional references, and a Rensselaer County Civil Service application to:
Ms. Jill Dugas Hughes, Director
East Greenbush Community Library
10 Community Way
East Greenbush, NY 12061
Position will remain open until filled. We will begin reviewing applications on December 6, 2017.