The East Greenbush Community Library currently has an opening for a part-time Building Maintenance Mechanic. Work includes custodial, carpentry, plumbing, painting, mechanical, and landscaping/snow removal. Maintains overall order and cleanliness of Library buildings and grounds, including daily meeting room and exhibit set-up/clean-up. Works with the Library Business and Operations Manager to coordinate buildings and grounds work with the building maintenance worker(s).
Comprehensive knowledge of methods and techniques of buildings and grounds maintenance including program organization and implementation methods of HVAC, electronics, plumbing and electrical systems and a thorough knowledge of work hazards, safety procedures, and public safety matters a must. Flexibility to be available for emergency call-outs during off-time and ability to take initiative and apply considerable ingenuity and practical knowledge to interpret and resolve new, unusual, or particularly troublesome situations essential; as is the ability to operate computers and relevant software. Physical strength and ability to perform moderate to heavy manual labor; the ability to read and interpret technical journals, manuals and other materials pertaining to facility maintenance, equipment, systems, and repair; as well as flexibility to embrace new projects and assignments required.
Our Core Values:
- Respect and care: If we’re not treating everyone well, we’re not making anyone feel at home.
- Do the right thing: Go the extra mile with each other and the public.
- Get it done: Look for solutions when problems arise, while working with patrons and coworkers.
- Champions for literacy and reading: At the heart of everything we do.
- Responsive to community: Community needs drive programs, material selections, and services.
$16 per hour
20 hours per week. Some flexibility is required; schedule may include daytime, evening, and/or weekend hours. The current schedule is (4) hours daily, Monday-Friday; 8am-noon. Must be available to be on call evenings/nights for emergencies.
- (1) year of experience as a journeyman in one of the recognized skilled trades OR
- (4) years of experience in either general building construction or building trades work in one or more of the standard trades, such as carpentry, plumbing, or electrical.
- Valid NYS motor vehicle operator’s license during term of employment.
- Must be eligible for a provisional appointment as Building Maintenance Mechanic under civil service rules.
Please submit a cover letter, three professional references, and a Rensselaer County Civil Service application to:
Ms. Jill Dugas Hughes, Director
East Greenbush Community Library
10 Community Way, East Greenbush, NY 12061
Position will remain open until filled. We will begin reviewing applications on November 6, 2017.