Wireless Network Access Policy
As part of East Greenbush Community Library’s mission to meet the information needs of town residents, the library offers public access to the Internet. Access to the Internet enables patrons to explore a vast array of information beyond that contained in the library’s collection. The library also provides free, unfiltered wireless access within the library for the public to use with their personal notebooks, laptops, and other mobile devices. These access points are unsecured (unencrypted), unfiltered, and may be accessible only during normal library hours. Use of this service is governed by the Internet Use Policy as well as the Wireless Network Access Policy. Patrons in violation of either policy may have access blocked, suspended, or terminated at the discretion of the Library Director.
Any person connecting to wireless Internet access within the library must abide by the following guidelines:
- Wireless connections are not secure. Users are advised not to transmit personal information (credit card numbers, passwords, and other sensitive information) while using any public wireless connection. Please take appropriate precautions when using this service.
- All wireless users should have up-to-date virus protection on their laptops or other wireless devices. The Library is not responsible for any information that is compromised, or for any damage caused to hardware or software due to security issues.
- There is no time limit for wireless users. However, there is a bandwidth limit of 1GB download per day.
- Wireless users requiring sound must use headphones so as not to disturb others. Headphones are available for sale at the Circulation desk.
- Library staff can provide general handouts to guide you in connection to the wireless network. Staff may assist in troubleshooting connection issues, but are not responsible for any damage caused to hardware or software during troubleshooting. The library does not guarantee that your device will work with the wireless network.
- The library does not permit violation of any U.S. or state law or regulation including, but not restricted to, acts of threatening, harassing or obscene nature. Any criminal or otherwise illegal conduct is prohibited, including the public display of offensive sexual materials as restricted by NYS Penal Laws, 245.10, 245.11, 263.11 and 263.16 when using a PC in a public area. The library reserves the right to limit access to pertinent web resources to maintain compliance with this legislation. Patrons must also respect copyright laws and licensing agreements.
- The wireless network may not be used to attempt to gain unauthorized access to any data, computer, or network.
This policy applies to all persons connecting to the Internet via the wireless access point within the East Greenbush Community Library.
Use of the wireless network is entirely at the risk of the user. The library disclaims any and all liability for lost or stolen hardware, loss of confidential information or damages resulting from that loss, or any and all damages resulting from use of the wireless network.
It is the responsibility of all persons using wireless Internet access to be familiar with and adhere to this policy. It is further the responsibility of all library staff to enforce this policy as stated above.
Policy Revised 4/14/09