If you live in Rensselaer or Albany County
- Positive identification (ex. license, other photo ID), proof of current street address, (not a post office box #), and date of birth will be required to register for a new card.
- The signature of a parent or legal guardian is required for children 15 and under. The parent must possess or obtain a valid library card in the UHLS system that is in good standing in order for their child to get a library card.
If you live outside of Rensselaer / Albany County
- Patrons residing outside of Albany and Rensselaer counties will be charged $30 for six months or $50 per year per person for use of the library.
- An out-of-county card does not guarantee full privileges at Upper Hudson Library System libraries aside from the East Greenbush Community Library.
- A library card is required to borrow and renew materials. Library cards are non-transferable. The person issued the card must be the person using the card.
- If a patron forgets his/her card, they may use their driver’s license up to three times. After the third time, the patron will be required to purchase a new card for $1.00.
- Most items checked out of a UHLS Library may be returned to any UHLS library. Exceptions: Museum passes and Stories-to-Go kits must be returned to our library.
- There is no limit on the amount of materials which may be borrowed except for video games (2) and museum passes (1).
- A signed permission slip is required to pick up holds for friends and family members.
- Cards are delinquent when your materials are overdue or $5.00 or more in accumulated damages or fines have accumulated on your card.
- Please report lost or stolen cards.
- If a card is lost, stolen or damaged the replacement cost is $1.00.
- You are responsible for all materials charged to your library card.
- Unpaid fines or overdue material result in a delinquent borrower status. Delinquent borrowers forfeit their borrowing and computer privileges until items are returned and fines are paid. Cards are delinquent when your materials are overdue or $5.00 or more in accumulated damages or fines have accumulated on your card.
- A drive-thru book drop is available 24-hours a day. Materials placed in the drop when the library is closed will be cleared the next business day.
- Borrowers are responsible for the replacement cost of materials which become lost or damaged while out on loan.
- Juveniles 15 & under may borrow videos if an authorization form is on file at the circulation desk. A sticker will be placed on the child’s card to indicate parental permission has been given.
- Patrons can be notified by email or phone when their requests are in. Visit the website to sign up for email notification.
- The library should be informed of any change in name, address, or telephone number as soon as possible.
- Charges for overdue items are added to your account. Unless you pay upon their return, you will be asked to settle the account before transacting any other business, including the use of a computer.
- Fines are charged for each day the library is open and the item is not returned. To avoid fines, return material before the library closes on the due date.
- All checks returned for insufficient funds will be charged a $25.00 administration fee.
- Our library will only accept CHECKS (no cash) for UHLS Lost Items. This does not apply to East Greenbush Library materials.
28 Days – Fine of $.20 per day up to $5.00*
- Large print books
14 Days – Fine of $.20 per day up to $5.00*
- New books
- Music CDs
- Juvenile holiday books
- New audiobooks
14 Days – Fine of $1.00 per day up to $5.00*
- CD ROMs
- Non-fiction DVDs (Documentaries, Exercise, Travel, etc.)
7 Days – Fine of $1.00 per day up to $5.00*
- Fiction DVDs / Blu Rays (Feature Films, Foreign, and TV Series)
- Video Games (DS, PS3, PS4, Wii Wii U, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Nintendo) – limit 2
56 Days -Fine of $.20 per day up to $5.00*
Vacation loans available on any not “new” item for a double loan period.
*A $15 maximum fine applies if you return all overdue materials and pay the fine on the same business day.
- Most library items may be renewed twice unless they have been reserved for another patron. To renew materials, present your card at the circulation desk and ask for renewal, call the library, or login to your library account online.
- Telephone (477-7476): You must supply your library card number to library staff when calling with a telephone renewal. Materials can be renewed by phone if they are overdue and the fine does not exceed $5.00 on your account.
- Material may be renewed on-line through the UHLS catalog at our web site.
- Material may not be renewed if it has been reserved by another borrower or if it has exceeded the renewal limit.
- Material from other libraries may be renewed at EGCL but are subject to the owning library’s renewal policy.
You may request library items currently checked out from the EG Library and from all UHLS libraries. This can be done in the library, by phone or from or online. To access the online catalog:
- Go to the library website and click My Account in the top menu.
- The system will prompt you for your Borrower ID (number on back of your library card) and your PIN (last four digits of your phone number).
- When you find the item you want to request, click on “Request it.”
- Select your pickup location, then click the “Request” button. The system will then confirm your request has been successfully placed.
You will be notified once the requested item is available, and will have 7 days to pickup the item before it goes back into circulation. Once the request is on hold, if you would like to pick it up at the drive-thru window, you must call at least 30 minutes ahead to have the item ready at the window.