OverDrive Streaming Video
Did you know that you can stream video on most devices with your library card? Print-Friendly Instructions
What do I need?
You only need a library card and a computer or mobile device with an internet browser that supports HTML5, such as Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explorer or Safari. Some videos may require Adobe Flash Player (on a computer) or installation of the OverDrive Media Console app (mobile devices).
How do I search for a video?
- Go to http://digitalcollection.uhls.org
- To browse the full video collection, see Featured Collections>New Videos in the gold menu bar. If you cannot see the gold menu bar, click on the menu icon:
- To search for a specific title, select “advanced search” under the search icon: . Type in the title, select “streaming video” in the “All Formats” box, and check the box to see all titles or just available titles.
How do I check out a video?
- When you find a title, click or tap on the cover. If it is available, you will see a “borrow” button. If not, the button will read, “place a hold.”
- If you are not signed in, you will be prompted to enter your library card number.
- Once the video appears in your checkouts, the lending clock starts ticking. The default lending period is 5 days, but that can be changed to 3 or 7 days by logging into your account and selecting “settings.” Regardless of the lending period, the title will expire 48 hours after you start to watch it.
- At the end of the lending period, the title will return itself.
How do I play a video I have checked out?
- After you have checked out a video, it will appear on your bookshelf in your OverDrive account. Next to the cover image, click “play (streaming video)” and it will open a new window of your default internet browser to play.
- If you pause the video and go back later, it will start up where you left off, even if you’re on a different device!
- To pause the video, video timing, make it full screen, change volume, etc., tap the screen (mobile device) or hover your mouse over the video screen (computer). An option bar will appear below the video.
- Streaming video may consume a lot of data. If you are using a mobile plan with a data cap, we recommend using a Wi-Fi connection when streaming to avoid overages.
Can I renew a title?
If there are no requests for a title, it can be renewed from your account bookshelf.
Can I return a title early?
- If you have created a shortcut for the title in the OverDrive Media Console app on your mobile device, you can press and hold the cover and you will get an option to return the title early.
- If you have not watched the title, you can log into your account bookshelf and return the title.
- If you have started watching the title on a computer and do not have a shortcut to it on a mobile device, you will not be able to return a title early.