OverDrive for Kindle Users
Kindle Fire users can now download an app that simplifies this procedure and allows downloading of audiobooks. Please see our OverDrive Mobile page for details.
To Check Out a Library E-Book for Kindle:
- Visit our Digital Collection page from a computer.
- Browse or Search for a Kindle book. Browse using the the categories at the top of the page or click “Advanced Search” to search by title, author, format, etc.
- When you find a title you want, click on the the book cover. Select “Borrow”, “Sign-in for availability” or “Place hold.” If the title is not available, you can place a hold to receive an email when the title is ready for download.
- On the next screen, click “Download” and be sure to select “Kindle Book.” Only those titles specifically labeled “Kindle book” are compatible with black and white Kindles.
- Click “Confirm and Download.”
- The Amazon.com website will open in a new tab. Click the yellow “Get library book” button on the right. If you are already signed into Amazon, select the device to deliver the book to below the yellow button. If you are not signed in to Amazon, you will be required to sign in with the Amazon account tied to your device/app, and then you will be asked where to deliver the book.
- If the book can be delivered via wi-fi, skip to step 9.
- If you are prompted to transfer the file via usb, skip to the next section of this page titled, “Transferring files via USB.”
- Click the “Get Library Book” button. Connect your device to Wi-Fi. The e-book will appear on your home screen. If it doesn’t, open the menu on your Kindle and select “Sync and check for new items.”
NOTE: An active Wi-Fi connection (not 3G) is required for wireless delivery to a Kindle device. If your Kindle is not Wi-Fi capable or you do not have an active Wi-Fi connection, see below for instructions for transferring files to your Kindle via USB.
Transferring Files Via USB
- Plug your Kindle into your computer. When connected, your Kindle will go into USB drive mode and you will not be able to use the device. Your wireless service is temporarily shut off and you will not receive any of your subscriptions while in this mode.
- Download the file to your Kindle via computer (step 4 above).; Choose the download location: (My) Computer>Kindle>Documents.
- Safely eject your Kindle from your computer, then unplug the USB cable. The file you transferred will now appear on the Kindle home screen