Getting Started with E-Books
To download e-books from the library, Adobe Digital Editions software must be installed on your computer. This software also allows the transfer of e-books from a computer to e-reader devices. Find this software under “Applications” in the bottom menu of our Digital Collection page.
- Open Adobe Digital Editions. The Setup Assistant box is displayed.
- Click Continue. The Activation screen is displayed.
- Under “Authorize Computer”, enter the email address and password for your Adobe ID. If you do not have an Adobe ID, click the link for “get an Adobe ID online.” Follow the instructions to get an Adobe ID (and ), and then enter your new credentials in the Activation screen.
- Click Activate.
- Click Finish to close the Setup Assistant dialog box.
To prevent authorization errors, we recommend using the same email address for registering your device and setting up your Adobe ID.
- Visit our Digital Collection page.
- Find a title to download using the search bar, advanced search, or a browsing category in the main menu. If you do not see browsing categories, click the menu button:
- When you find an item, click on the title for more information. You may see a button marked “Borrow”, “Sign-in for availability”, or “Place a hold.” If the title is available, you will be taken to a checkout screen. If not, you may place a hold. OverDrive will ask for an email address to notify you when your title is ready to download. Once the notification is sent, you have 2 days to download it before it becomes available to the next patron.
- If you haven’t already signed in, you will be prompted for your library card number.
- On the next screen, find your title and click the “Download” box. Select ePub format, and then click “Confirm and download.” When the download is completed, open it. Adobe Digital Editions should open automatically when the downloaded book is opened. The book can be found in the “Library” view under “All Items.” To read it on your computer, click the book to open the “Reading” view.
- With Adobe Digital Editions open, turn on and unlock the e-reader and connect it to your computer. It will probably install a driver the first time before showing up in Adobe Digital Editions. You should receive a prompt from Adobe Digital Editions to authorize your device using your Adobe ID. If you do not receive a prompt, click the gear icon next to your e-reader’s name in the left menu. There should be an option to authorize the device. If not, follow these instructions.
- From the All Items bookshelf, drag and drop the book to the link for your e-reader in the left menu.
- When the transfer is complete, safely disconnect the e-reader and enjoy! Note to Nook users: Your title will be found in your documents library (or My Files) in the Digital Editions folder after transfer.
- You can return an e-book early through Adobe Digital Editions. Right-click the book cover, and select “return borrowed item.” Confirm your choice by clicking “return” on the pop-up window. Once this option is selected, all copies of the title will cease to function on your computer and devices and must be deleted manually.
- At the end of the lending period, all copies of this title will cease to function on your computer and devices, but the files remain. The next time you open Adobe Digital Editions, you will be prompted to delete the titles. Refer to your device manual to delete the file from your e-reader.
Print This Page